Understanding trends and patterns within the FE sector workforce is important for providers and policy makers alike. Reliable and timely benchmark data on issues like average salaries, gender balance, and percentages of qualified staff, can help to inform your decision making and the development of policies to support the sector.
The Education and Training Foundation (ETF) is the body tasked with gathering strategic workforce data across the further education and skills sector, revealing the employment and working patterns of thousands of staff. The ETF and previous FE development organisations have been collecting and reporting on this data since 1993 through the Staff Individualised Record (SIR) collection for colleges, combined in latter years with the workforce surveys for independent training providers and adult community learning services.
Data is now collected through the SIR Data Insights service, piloted in 2015/16, which is a radical departure from the earlier data collections systems and surveys. It aims to give all providers that submit data a useful strategic decision making tool, as well as giving policy makers broader-based evidence.
- The SIR Data Insights service incorporates free, bespoke data analytic tools which give benchmark data comparisons
- To benefit from these data analytics, you need to submit workforce data
- There is a customer support facility to help you register and take advantage of the service; you can register at any time
- When you submit data, you can see that data immediately in your management dashboards when you login
- You need only submit data that your organisation would collect as a matter of course
- Many HR systems have a SIR app or module making data upload easy. If not, there are guidance notes available and the SIR team can advise
- The window for upload of this year’s SIR26 2017/18 workforce data is from 1st August to 31st October
- You can do trial submissions of data from 1st July
- Your data will contribute to the annual workforce data report published by the Education and Training Foundation
- Your staff and your organisation remain anonymous in any public reporting
- Whilst analysis of SIR data at a national level is available to all, benchmark analysis at the detailed level is only available to participating institutions
Find out more about the benefits of SIR Data Insights.